Friday, December 9, 2016

The end of my short stint

Funny how things can be. Yesterday our client asked us to join them for their early christmas buffet lunch in the office. When I heard my client saying 'join us for free lunch', I couldn't hide my overjoyed smile. The truth is, the thought of free lunch seems appealing to me nowadays. Haha. It was a simple buffet serving Malay food and drinks held in the office itself. The drink served was the syrup with the 'tadpole-like' jelly which is so hard to find nowadays. The one whereby the aunty from the third stall in the canteen of MGS sold.

Today marks the official end of the interim audit. It was our last day of the interim audit and also my last day at the client's office. The office was mostly run by Malay staffs with the top management being managed by Chinese. Most if not all could converse comfortably in English but I felt comfortable conversing with them in BM. Since all the staffs knew today was our last day for the interim period, I happened to deal with two staffs on separate occasions which they asked me casually that I'll be here for the final audit right? They asked this with friendly smiles on their face. I dealt with them a few times before so I knew they were both nice. Knowing I wouldn't be here, I smiled at the lady who first asked me this and angguk kepala je. Another chubby jolly and efficient guy popped the same question when the office was almost empty and it was about time for my team to leave the office. I immediately said most probably not but my other team members masih akan datang. I carefully chose my words not to tell him the reason was that I am only an intern and my internship would end by then. I guess he assumed I was leaving my current job so he asked me Henti bekerja ke? How long dah bekerja kat sana? I wanted to tell him the truth but held back and said tak lama lah and as I stood there, I could see he was expecting for my answer to continue, and seeing him smiling attentively, I ended up telling him that actually I would sambung belajar (It was what I could think of which was closest to the truth without revealing that I as an intern was handling their company's audit, of which so the client happens to abit mm song when another intern accidentally emailed one of the staffs with his position being trainee) and I knew he genuinely considered my answer and went on to ask me bekerja dan belajar tak boleh ke? By then, I felt a sense of guilt as I answered tak bolehhh, sibuk la. He just continued to senyum lebar and laughed a bit. Then he asked me a final question, ambil ACCA ye? My reply was mungkin la because in actual fact, I may intend to do so. It was my first time knowing perfectly well that I was not going to see the faces of these people again. It was also hard to want to tell the actual reasoning yet having to answer curtly. As it was almost time to pack and leave, and as we were returning all the files that we used for our audit, I realized that it really was my last day here. I wouldn't be around for finals since my internship would already end. That I'll probably actually miss this office; this fieldwork experience because I've started to feel familiar with the staffs, the working conditions for this engagement and the ever nice guards allowing who has to open the door for us daily.

Spending the last one and a half month here and as I made my usual commuting route home, I felt a sudden attachment to this experience, the staffs at the office as well as the client's place itself.

When I'm at my client's office side, I am always busy with a task at hand. I had to overtime with my team and reach home at 9.15 on average. I need to walk that long bridge to my client's office every morning and its sloping in the wrong direction yo! By the the time I reach home, I have late dinners which I eat slowly while watching TV. Sometimes, I feel burned out by Wednesday or Thursday and Fridays are my days to catch up on sleep. I go back and forth in deciding whether I prefer being at my actual office or outside. On the other hand, I'm thankful for certain reasons. I get extra sleeping hours (40mins) longer when I'm at my client's office since I get to leave the house later, I get to avoid the mad rush of KL's city centre and public transport conundrums early in the morning and after leaving work, since I'm always on the other side of the platform heading away from KLCC's direction or take the train home at times where there are less people commuting, I met some nice colleagues which I've spend the whole time together with during my audit fieldwork whether it comes to being in the same meeting room doing our tasks together, having lunch together, going to AEON big to get stock for snacks, and walking to the train station or car pooling together, in and out for the past month. Needless to say, how my experience is so far, I had times where I felt appreciative to be where I am on some days due to happy moments, and there are times when I felt like I just wanted my internship to end as quickly as possible and that I prefer studying.

A month more to go and I have mixed feelings during my internship. I'll be back at the office so I wonder what more is up. I'll remember that I have some experience to cherish regardless.

No comments: